Hello 2022 and welcome to the year of learning to live within a global pandemic. The team at Cancer Rehabilitation & Lymphatic Solutions are even more dedicated to providing our patients with the highest quality of care and support especially during this challenging time.
Whilst the long-term consequences of COVID-19 are still unknown, evidence from previous outbreaks demonstrates impaired pulmonary and physical function, reduced quality of life and emotional distress, therefore rehabilitation and recovery of these patients represent important phases of the clinical journey of the patient.
Studies indicate that MLS® Laser Therapy can be a powerful tool for COVID-19 patients presenting musculoskeletal conditions. Cancer Rehabilitation & Lymphatic Solutions in Erina, are the first on the Central Coast to offer patients this unique and effective treatment which is also able to support recovery for COVID-19 patients.
What role can Photobiomodulation therapy play in COVID-19 rehabilitation
Low Level Laser Therapy, otherwise known as Photobiomodulation therapy (PBMT) is a physical therapy that delivers simultaneous pulsed and continuous light wave lengths via a laser diode to act on several human body mechanisms such as:
- Promoting local microcirculation function, to decrease inflammation, oedema and
- Favouring cell metabolism, to enhance tissue repair processes and functional recovery
Main muscle and joint issues experienced by post COVID-19 patients are:
- Fatigue (in part as specific symptomatology, in part due to deconditioning)
- Diffused myalgia
- Arthralgia (mostly seen in wrist, ankle, knee)
- Low back pain
- Weakness in upper limb/hand (handgrip strength)
- Orthostatic Intolerance (that is difficulty in keeping the standing position for prolonged time)
- Exacerbation of pre-existing painful symptoms (neck pain, low back pain, neuropathic pain)
The inclusion of MLS® Low Level Laser Therapy in the rehabilitation plan is appropriate for the treatment of joint pain, muscle contracture, inflammation and muscle weakness and thus is a suitable treatment option for COVID -19 patients.
MLS Laser can help assist recovery of Covid -19 patients in the following areas:
- Reducing lung inflammation and promoting the regeneration of the damaged tissue
- Rib cage pain management
- Muscle repowering
- Reinforcement and recovery of the standing position through myofascial stimulation
Many studies and have been completed and are in progress in this area and we will continue to keep you informed of the latest results and breakthroughs.
At Cancer Rehabilitation & Lymphatic Solutions we are committed to delivering premium care and treatment options to ensure optimal patient outcomes.
If you have any queries, please contact our friendly and supportive team on 02 4312 7033, we are here to help and support you and your family through this interesting time.